Step 1 - Create CNAME Record on Nameserver
Log into your website host or domain registrar. This is probably whomever you purchased your domain name from.
Create a CNAME record pointing your subdomain address to 'subdomains.idxbroker.com'(without the quotes). This CNAME is typically a short word, like search, or homes.
Here is help for some popular hosting services.
|Network Solutions||Yahoo Small Business||CloudFlare|
NOTE: It is recommended to wait one day between Step 1 and Step 2. This will give your new CNAME record time to propagate across the Internet.
Step 2 - Point your IDX Broker pages to the new location
Enter your new custom domain in your IDX Control Panel under Account > Details:
Here you will see a section called Subdomain/Domain Control. Your standard IDX subdomain is on the left and your Custom Domain settings are on the right.
Set Use Custom Domain to Yes.
Enter in the CNAME from step 1 into the Custom Domain field.
- What is a Subdomain?-Read this article for an explanation of subdomains and how it can help your website.
- Why do my pages show up with -IDX Broker on a Google search? This is not something that IDX is adding to your page title, but rather a feature of Google when they encounter the default domain of .idxbroker.com. When you set up a subdomain for your IDX service, this should be corrected.
- How do I check if my CNAME is set up correctly?- Once you set the toggle to "Yes" and add your custom domain, you will see a notification about the status of your CNAME record. Any errors will show a red X and a message explaining the error. If your subdomain is setup properly, the domain field will flash green, and display a green checkmark with a success message.
- What about a "A" Name Record? - Because the set of IP addresses associated with IDX Broker can change over time, you should never create an "A" record with any specific IP address.
- What do I need to do after I switch over to a custom subdomain?- After switching to a custom subdomain, you'll need to make sure that you update any existing IDX links on your website or IDX global wrapper with your new IDX links using your custom subdomain. Typically, this can be accomplished with a find & replace.
- What about a www subdomain? If you're attempting to use "www" as your custom subdomain, you'll also need to verify that your own homepage continues to function. If you have been using the www prefix in other places, including what's on file for your IDX account, and then set up a different CNAME record, you may experience some website issues.
- Can I speed up indexing? Your IDX pages will now begin to be indexed organically by "Google Bot" and other search engine crawlers. If you would like to help Google find you faster, you can verify your ownership of the subdomain with Google Webmaster Tools. See this article for instructions about how to verify your subdomain.
- If you have any questions about the SEO value of a subdomain vs a subdirectory, see this article and video from Google here.
- Can I setup multiple subdomains? While you may setup and use multiple subdomains on your primary website, like blog. search. and support., IDX Broker only supports a single subdomain for our service. All of the IDX Broker pages will be housed under the subdomain specified in the account settings.
- Log in to your account at www.godaddy.com.
- Click Premium DNS tab.
- Select Manage. You'll be directed to the Domain Manager page.
- Select Advanced Settings on the domain that has your IDX content.
- To work with the advanced settings for another domain name in your Premium DNS Dashboard, click change zone, select the domain name you want to work with, and then click OK.
- In the box labeled "CNAMES," click Add New CNAME Record. If you've already created a CNAME record for your IDX Broker content, click the pencil icon next to the existing CNAME record.
- In the "Host" section, enter your subdomain. For example, if you picked search.primarydomain.com as your address, enter
- In the "Points to" section, enter
subdomains.idxbroker.com. Specify a TTL or use the default setting of 1 hour.
- Click OK.
- Log in to your HostGator cPanel.
- In the "domains" section, click Simple DNS Zone Editor.
- Scroll down to Add a CNAME Record.
- In the "Name" section, enter your subdomain. For example, if you picked search.primarydomain.com as your address, enter
- In the "CNAME" section, enter
- Click Add Record.
- Log in to your account at https://admin.1and1.com.
- Click Domains from the left menu.
- Click Manage Domains under the My Domains header.
- From the Domain Settings, click Create Subdomain.
- Enter the name you would like to use as your CNAME, like
- Once you have your subdomain set up click on the Domains tab to go back to Domain Center, then click Manage Subdomains.
- Locate the subdomain you just created and click the dropdown menu.
- Under Subdomain settings, click Edit DNS Settings.
- Select CNAME.
subdomains.idxbroker.comas the Alias.
- Click Save.
- Click Yes.
- For more information, please see the 1and1 help center.
- Log in to your account at Bluehost.com.
- Click the domains link at the Top of the account.
- Click the "zone editor" link.
- Scroll down to the heading named "Add DNS Record"
- In the "Host Record" field, enter the desired record name.
- Leave the "TTL" field at it's default setting.
- Select the proper entry type for your application, from the drop-down labeled "Type"
- In the "Points To" field, enter
- Click on the "Add Record" button to create the record
Yahoo Small Business
- Log in to your account at smallbusiness.yahoo.com.
- Below the domain for your IDX Broker content, click Domain Control Panel.
- Click Manage Advanced DNS Settings > Add Record.
- In the "Source" section, enter your subdomain. For example, if you want search.primarydomain.com as the address of your IDX content, enter
- In the "Destination" section, enter
- Click Submit.
- Manage your account at networksolutions.com.
- Select Manage All Services from the pulldown menu, and click Login.
- Click Manage Domain Names.
- Select the domain name to receive new DNS records and click Manage.
- Click Change Where Domain Points.
- Click Edit Advanced DNS.
- Under the Host Aliases (CNAME Records) heading, click Add/Edit.
- Enter your CNAME record (e.g. search).
- Select the radio button to the left of the Other Host box.
- In the Other Host field, enter
- Click Continue.
- Review your changes and click Save Changes to create the CNAME record.
- Log in to your account at CloudFlare.com.
- From the dropdown menu on the top left, select your domain.
- Select the DNS settings tab.
- Add the CNAME record. It must point to subdomains.idxbroker.com. Example if you want to point search subdomain to
- Click the orange cloud to turn it grey.